Did you know that Spain is ranked the second most popular destination in the world for British expats to live? Many expats choose to move to Spain for many reasons including: the low cost of living, the glorious weather, the healthcare system and international schools to name a few.
Unless you are familiar with the processes of buying a home in Spain, it can seem quite daunting, and a lot of people don’t even know where to start. To give you confidence that you’re covering all the necessary steps when buying a property in Spain, we have put together a checklist of the key things you need to consider.
- Decide on the area you would like to live and select an estate agent (we would recommend Dream Spanish Homes😉)
- Be honest with the estate agent you select about what you are looking for – it will save you both time.
- If you are interested in a property, view it twice.
- When you have found your Dream Spanish Home. Your estate agent will recommend a solicitor.
- If you have decided on a property a reservation contract will be drawn and a reservation fee paid to take the property off the market.
- Your Solicitor will carry out checks on the property and advise you on whether it is safe to proceed with the full purchase contract
- Arrange NIE number
- Arrange Power of Attorney if needed
- Look for the best way to transfer funds and getting the best rate for your purchase, solicitor can normally advise.
- Arrange insurance – contents / buildings / health – your solicitor will be able to recommend suitable companies
- Signature of title deeds and registration at the Land registry
- Make a Spanish Will. This is extremely important as this will cover all you have in Spain, as your UK Will does not cover assets in Spain
- Arrange for Fiscal representation for taxes etc …
- Enjoy your Dream Spanish Home
If you are thinking of moving to Spain and would like some advice, contact a member of the Dream Spanish Homes team on [email protected] or +34 634 330 275.