Are you thinking of a life in the sun and don’t know where to start? Take a look at our top tips for moving to Spain from the UK.
Learn the language
Getting to grips with the Spanish language will make life a lot easier when it comes to starting your new life in Spain.
There are many ways to learn the Spanish language; whether it be group lessons, one-to-one lessons or online lessons, there are plenty of options to help get you started.
Make sure you are correctly registered for Healthcare in Spain
As an expat, you are entitled to free state healthcare. All residents in Spain need to register to access healthcare.
Once registered for healthcare, basic state services are free, but there are some things that patients need to pay for.
UK nationals usually access the Spanish national health system in one of these ways:
- If you are employed or self-employed and make social security contributions in Spain
- Registering a UK-issued S1 form with the social security office
- Through entitlement to healthcare as a permanent resident if they’ve lived in Spain for 5 years
- Paying directly into the public health insurance scheme (Convenio Especial)
Get a visa
Since the UK left the EU, it is considered a third state. Since 1st January 2021, any British citizen who wants to emigrate to Spain will need to apply for a visa.
Before you move to Spain, you must apply for the appropriate visa from the Spanish consulates. After submitting an application at the Spanish consulate, and the consulate approves the procedure, you get a visa that allows entry into Spain.
There are many types of Visas which will get you entry into Spain. Please see below information on popular visa types and links for additional information.
- Golden Visa- The “Golden Visa”, is a fantastic opportunity for a non-EU citizen to invest in property while also obtaining a Spanish/EU residency visa. The scheme is for investors with an investment budget of £500,000 or more, and can be invested across a portfolio of homes. Contact the team at Dream Spanish Homes for more information – [email protected]
- Non-working residence visa – https://bit.ly/3B7IHEM
- Employee visa – https://bit.ly/3eJ8b3E
- Self-employed work visa – https://bit.ly/3BATMQo
You must tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring to Spain.
Check your profession is regulated
Regulated professions differ between EU countries. To find out if your profession is regulated in Spain, visit the regulated profession database https://bit.ly/3cVo5rr.
If the profession you want to practise is not listed, it may be possible that it might not be regulated in Spain. If you are unable to find any information about your profession, contact the National Assistance Centre for the Recognition of Professional Qualifications as they will be able to offer additional information.
Buy your property from Dream Spanish Homes
At Dream Spanish Homes, we have been helping turn dreams into reality for over 16 years. We are one of the fastest-growing real estate agents on the Mar Menor, Costa Cálida. We offer our customers complete peace of mind and are the only agent to give you more.
Don’t just take our word for it; hear what our clients are saying…
“We recently purchased and completed our first property abroad from Dream Spanish Homes. From the first initial meeting with Michael at Alicante airport and then being settled into a local hotel before viewings, then providing an offer/ completion, we cannot speak highly enough of your excellent service. With Michael doing the viewings and Sue on the admin/clerical side, nothing was too much bother, and we were kept informed of every step via e-mails/ calls etc., on the property purchase procedure. We have completed and would highly recommend Michael and Sue of Dream Spanish Homes to anyone considering a purchase in the Costa Calida area. Once again, thank you for such professional service” Martin and Julie, UK.
For more information on available properties, contact the team directly at [email protected]